Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sutter's Fort Preparation

I am ashamed to say that I was not looking forward to this field trip. My wonderful husband had signed up to go with the boys last fall. He thought that it would be the perfect field trip to do with them. (I was SO relieved!) Since Michael began working for B Line in December, the responsibility fell on me to take the boys on this over-nighter. Have I mentioned that I do not like over-nighters if there is not a hotel involved?

So, the preparation emails began pouring in...costumes, stuff sacks (sacks that were needing to be sewn to hold our stuff - did I mention that I do not sew?), period style plates, cups, and eating utensils, and the list goes on. Did I mention that I do not sew? :) As the list grew, so did my dread for this field trip. A couple of times I asked the boys, "Are you sure that you want to go? Maybe we should just go down for the day and not spend the night. What do you think?" They were appalled that I should ask such questions!

So we searched thrift stores and costume shops for our costumes, watched videos to make sure that we were getting it just right. Fortunately, we found Alter Ego costumes in Chico. The owner treated us well! She got us hooked up. Putting on our costumes really got us excited. It honestly got the boys more excited than this chicken mommy. But, I was getting there.

Then came the stuff sacks. I am going to remind you that I do not sew. My mother-in-law is a seamstress and I wish to be, but I am not. Anyway...knowing that I am not a seamstress, my husband bought me a PINK sewing machine for Christmas a few years back. It was one of those $19.99 specials to let you in on the quality of this machine. It has been sitting in my closet ever since. So, the other night, M and I sat down to sew these three stuff sacks. I pulled out a needle and thread while M pulled out my fancy, pink, sewing machine. He sat and worked on it for quite some time while I pulled my needle and thread. Finally, my high quality sewing machine came to life and M whipped out two of the stuff sacks. They were NOT pretty, but they would indeed hold stuff. My sack, on the other hand, was a little prettier, but it did take me 1 1/2 hours to sew! Where was my mother-in-law when I needed her? :) I love you, MIL!

The stuff sacks were ready, but this mommy was continuing to be panicked about going. I knew that I needed to do it for my boys, but we were only going to go this one time. Once would be enough for me.

You will have to tune in next time for the rest of the story...

No comments: