Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Veteran's Day!

Homeschooling offers so many opportunities for learning! On our assignment sheet this week, I wrote, "Surprise Field Trip" for today. The suspense just about KILLED them. "Please give us a hint," they would plead. I was strong and did not give in to their persistence. :)

Today at 11 a.m. we had a meeting on the carpet. We began discussing what Veteran's Day means. What is a Veteran? and many other questions. We learned that Americans used to observe a moment of silence at 11 a.m. on November 11th. Fascinating! So...we held our own moment of silence and prayed for the Veterans. We then were off to our field trip. We first stopped by my grandparent's to pick up Grandma. She wanted to go along for the ride. Next, we headed to cemetery in downtown Chico. The boys have been asking to go to the "graveyard" for quite some time. Curiosity of the unknown I guess.

We spent quite a while admiring the gravestones. Wondering about the lives of the people buried there, figuring out how old the people were when they passed away, and marvelling at the beauty of it all. The boys HAD to bring along notebooks so that they could take notes and draw pictures. They had a blast! I just enjoyed watching them learn.

I wish that I had pictures of this amazing learning experience...maybe next time.

1 comment:

Bella @ Lil Daisies said...

Sounds like a Gravely Field Trip! I always like looking at gravestones when I was a child (except at nighttime). It was always cool to find the odd shaped tombstones or those that were dated way way back.